Friday 1 April 2011

More Workshop Details

It has been some time since my last post, in which I said I would start giving details on engine and component design. Rest assured that in the intervening period I have been working on this. Additionally I've managed to get some workshop time in.

I have also acquired some new pieces of kit. I thought it might be good to show these, along with some general views of some of my other equipment. I got a new TIG welder. Last year I bought a Sealey 175 amp TIG unit, but I quickly realised its shortcomings - no foot pedal to control the welding current and no pulse facility. So I got myself a 200 amp unit from R-Tech Welding Equipment in Gloucester. I went for the TIG 201, which you can read about here:- http://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/ 

This unit has a pulse feature that allows fine control of the heat input to the work. This makes welding close to an edge easier, as the arc tends to "stick" where you put it. When working close to an edge there is a tendency for things to run away, as the heat has nowhere to go. You can watch your meticulously machined part melting into a congealed mess before your eyes. Here is the unit set up and ready to go:-



If that wasn't enough, I am also now the proud owner of a tailstock turret for the lathe. This nifty little fixture sits in the tailstock by means of an MT3 arbour. Mounted to this is a rotatable head. This has sockets machined into it for attachments like a jacobs and collet chuck, tap holders, die holders and a live centre. The idea being to save time and make the work more fluid, due to not having to stop to change tooling over. Just a twist of the turret and you've presented the relevant tool ready for the next machining operation. I got this unit from Arc Euro Trade in Leicester:- http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/

Here is the unit:-


You can see the turret fitted to the tailstock of the Harrison. The tap holder is carrying an M8 taper tap, just in case you were wondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment